Monday, October 15, 2012

Paleo To Go

Sometimes you don't have time to cook.  I'm a busy mom of 2 tweens.  That means school events, karate lessons, Girl Scout meetings.  Add to that medical appointments, my running addiction and the need to "gather" every few days and sometimes I find myself without the time to cook a meal for myself.  To the rescue are a few health conscious food manufacturers that I rely on to help me stay paleo.  My favorite Paleo to go items include:

LaraBars -  Key Lime Pie, Coconut Creme Pie and Lemon Bar flavors.  Made with dates, cashews, coconut, limes and lemons, they are completely paleo friendly AND yummy!


Planter's Harvest Blend Nuts - No added oils make these nuts a safe choice for snacking.  The high protein and fat ratio in nuts is a must to keep my macros in line.  A 1/4 cup of almonds is usually my first snack of the day to make sure I'm taking in fat and protein before I reach for paleo friendly carbs.

Naked Juice - Stick with the "juices" and stay away from the smoothies if you're strictly paleo.  This is my favorite super market treat when I'm shopping hungry.  The Green Machine variety has both veggies and fruits and it's totally paleo.  I also make icepops out of it at home for when the family is eating ice cream and I want a sweet treat too.

Cheribundi Juice - My new favorite post-race drink.  It's got paleo friendly carbs for refueling, and studies are showing that tart cherry juice contains anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties.

Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips - I wrote about these in a previous post.  I stalk my local whole foods store for the Nacho Cheese flavor, which is usually sold out.  They are so good that its really hard to believe that its NOT actual cheese on the kale chips.

As I find more paleo friendly pre-made foods, I will definitely share them with you.

This post was inspired by my friend Michelle's blog: Hospitalmom.  For her, altering the way her family eats has been a necessity after her youngest was born.  Her little one has Short Bowel Syndromea condition in which nutrients are not properly absorbed (malabsorption) because a large part of the small intestine is missing or has been surgically removed.  I am amazed and delighted by her little one's voracious appetite.  And I'm honored that some of my posted recipes have made it onto their menus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment