Friday, October 26, 2012

Paleo Product Reviews: I try, so you don't have to!

Robb Wolf recently posted about the Seven Shades of Paleo on his blog.  You can read more in depth about this humorous, yet true, categorizing of Paleo Diet followers through the link.  The categories are as follows: The Militant Paleo, The Autoimmune Paleo, The Low-Carb Paleo, The Lacto-Paleo, The 80/20 Paleo, The Vegetarian Paleo, and The "I decide" Paleo.  That last one cracks me up.  

The Militant Paleo group  "...hunt their own meat, gather berries, climb trees to harvest nuts, and make dinner outside over the fire pit...".  That's just crazy, in my opinion.  That's darn right IMPOSSIBLE in modern times.  I'm a busy mom of two, and dedicated to having time to blog as well.  That means that sometimes I want easy solutions for Paleo problems.  That's where Paleo-Friendly Pre-packaged food comes in.  I already covered some of my favorite snacks in my post about Paleo To Go.  Now that I'm firmly entrenched in this eating lifestyle though, I'm starting to reach out for foods that supplement my expanding paleo culinary skills.  Recently I've tried several products and services that I thought I'd share with you.

House Foods Shirataki Noodles -  These noodles are a WIN!  Low carb and made from the Konjac plant, sometimes known as a japanese yam.  These are completely paleo safe and a good alternative for those who miss "real" noodles.  I reccomend Dry-frying them (no oils in a non-stick pan) to rid them of their slimy texture.  They'd be great in paleo stir-fry and paleo pho recipes.  I used them to make Paleo Spaghetti.               


Fitzee Foods - This is a San Diego based pre-packaged meal company that labels their products as "ideal Meals to fit your lifestyle".  The idea is great.  Pre-packaged, pre-portioned meals for those people who are too busy or cannot cook for themselves.  They list "Paleo Friendly" meals on their website.  I was very excited to try them and purchased all the available meals from their "Paleo Friendly" freezer.  This experience is a DRAW for me.  I got the meals home only to find that their meals are "Paleo Inspired" and that they use some lentils and red potatoes in a few of their "Paleo" meals.  I'm not a MILITANT paleo, but I don't think you should label something paleo if it's NOT paleo.  On the plus side, the experience of buying the food was easy and quick.  Like shopping at a REALLY healthy 7-11.  They are located in Point Loma, which is a hike for me, but they do have pickup locations all over San Diego. And they allowed me to exchange the meals I couldn't eat for ones that I could.   I've now eaten the Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce and the  JKing’s Chicken Cacciatore.  The Steak was way better than I expected.  The sauce was tasty and the steak and brussels sprouts held up well to storage.  The chicken cacciatore was disappointing   very little chicken, and the sauce was very thin and runny.  Pros: the food was tasty, the ability to have pre-made paleo meals without cooking for an hour, good customer service  Cons: not completely paleo friendly, and a bit pricey.  As a stay-at-home mom and an amateur chef, I usually have the time to cook for myself.  




Julian Bakery Paleo Breads - WIN!  These breads are made with Purified Water, Blanched Almond or coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.  If you were expecting a fluffy, airy bread, you'll be disappointed   But the chewy, light texture reminds me of bagels and they're sturdy enough for sandwiches.  No crumbling!  Both breads are delicious and I totally recommend them!  $7.99 for a loaf.  I cannot wait to put together some recipe using these breads.  


Is there a paleo product that you're REALLY curious about?  Let me know about it!  I'll test it and review it so you don't have to!






1 comment:

  1. I will admit that I didn't fry them, but I tried the shiritaki noodles and was NOT impressed. They were chewy and had an off taste. I knew not to expect the al dente perfection of spaghetti noodles, but these were not a suitable substitute. For me, I'll keep eating green beans with my spaghetti sauce.

    Thanks for all your reviews, Juri!

    ReplyDelete