Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paleo Recipe Makeover: Savory Mug Muffin with tomato-avocado salsa

paleOMG's recipe that inspired me!
I've mentioned before that I'm "recipe dependent", but last night I ate something that inspired me to make my OWN version!  I made the Sugar Detox Pumpkin Cake in a Mug with Chocolate Whip found at paleOMG.  While my family ate nutella pancakes with chocolate chips, I enjoyed my cake in a mug. It was less sweet than I thought it'd be, being my first try at a paleo dessert.  I really enjoyed the texture of the mug cake.  I was eating something that had the mouthfeel of a baked good!  So I thought, "What if this was a SAVORY muffin instead?"  It could be a complement to stews and soups.  I miss having a chunk of break or a corn muffin to go with those types of meals.  Here's my attempt at altering a recipe:


Savory Mug Muffin with Tomato-Avocado Salsa

Ingredients

It worked! 
  • 1/4 cup grated zucchini
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion
  • 1 tbsp bacon grease 
  • 1.5 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 soft, ripe Avocado
  • 1 medium tomato
Ugly, but SO nom topped
with the salsa
Instructions
  1. Cook the onion and zucchini in the bacon grease until soft and translucent.
  2. Mash the vegetables into a puree 
  3. Mix puree in a coffee mug with coconut flour, egg and egg white, coconut oil, coconut milk, spices and baking soda.  
  4. Cook for 2 minutes in microwave on high
  5. While mug is cooling, dice tomato and mix with avocado
  6. Top mug muffin with salsa and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment