Thursday, December 13, 2012

More Holiday Recipes

I wrote about my pre-Thanksgiving menu a while back and I hope it helped make a few dinners a bit more paleo.  Now that we're halfway through December I need to start planning my Christmas Dinner.  I haven't completely made my choice between a Rib Roast and a Turkey yet.  But regardless, my dinner will also include recipe like these.

Paleo Cranberry Sauce

The problem with traditional cranberry sauce is that it is made with an ENORMOUS amount of sugar.  Usually a whole cup for 12 ounces of berries.  And I've tried to replace it in the past (pre-paleo) with Splenda.  It just tastes all wrong.  So this year I did the following and it tasted wonderfully tart and complemented my herbed turkey really well.

Ingredients

  • 12 oz bag of cranberries
  • 1 cup of Orange Juice
  • Honey 
Instructions
1.  Place the cranberries and orange juice into a sauce pan (that you don't mind having to scrub afterwards, this stuff is sticky!)
2.  Heat on high until boiling, then simmer for about 10 minutes.  The cranberries will make alarming popping sounds.  Don't worry, this is supposed to happen.  
3.  Let sit for a bit before scooping it into a pretty bowl or storage container.
4.  Enjoy with some honey added to taste to adjust the level of sweetness that you like.  I only added a bit, to help curb the tartness.  I didn't miss the canned gelatinous mass at all.





-southern style green beans
- green bean casserole


No comments:

Post a Comment