Tuesday, December 11, 2012

120 Days and a Reminder



I celebrated being 120 days Paleo on December 7th.  I then proceeded to fall SO FAR OFF the paleo wagon that I really feel like I don't deserve a celebratory post.  A cookie party, followed by my husband's Christmas Party, followed by a wedding, followed by my husband's catered re-enlistment reception, all wrapped up in eating on the road to and from LA.  I SHOULD give myself some slack.  It's the holiday season, where MOST people fall off their diet.  It was also one incredibly busy weekend, and I am definitely thankful that if I was going to be at THAT many catered events that they happened all at once.  I tried to stay away from Dairy and Legumes, since those would have made being social really impossible (yes that's a a reference to being gassy).  But I definitely indulged in wheat, and corn (with some AMAZING TAMALES) and sugar.  For my celebratory drinking I stuck with red wine and tequila.  But I still gained 5 pounds, and have terrible GI and bloating problems.  Some Dairy snuck through in the form of a guacamole "dip" that I think was probably made with sour cream.  I had a pretty bad asthma attack last night.

Lesson Learned Paleo, Lesson Learned.

So I think after this weekend, I need a reminder of WHAT Paleo is, and what it isn't.

A good friend of mine reminded me that the best place to start is at the Nerd Fitness article
"The Beginner's Guide to the Paleo Diet".  Legos make everything simpler.

Paleo is:

  • NO grains, legumes (including soy and peanuts), processed oils (corn, vegetable, canola, soy), refined sugars, dairy (for me), starchy vegetables (like corn or white potatoes).
  • Permission to eat bacon (its not really, but it sure feels like it is)
  • An excuse to enjoy Meat, Poultry, fish, tree nuts, fruits and vegetables, eggs, good oils (olive oil, avocadoes), seeds (flax, chia, sunflower), and tubers like sweet potatoes and yams.
  • A chance to stretch and grow as a cook.
I'm going to essentially start over and take this week one day at a time.  Hopefully by Friday I'll be back on track, have dropped these extra 5 pounds and will feel MUCH better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment