Saturday, November 10, 2012

Count Down to the Silver Strand Half Marathon: One Day left

The word of the day is HYDRATION.  Everyone say it with me: Hy-Dray-Shun.  The day before a big race, I make sure that I am NOT dehydrated.  So T-minus 1 day means I'm in the bathroom a lot.  But it's okay, because I'd rather be in the bathroom today than stopping for port-a-potties throughout the race tomorrow.  Some of you may wonder at that last sentence.  Hydrating the cells in my body, making sure my fluid levels are adequate today means that I will NOT feel as thirsty tomorrow.  The feeling of THIRST actually means you're already dehydrated.  Thirst triggers a need to drink, and what happens next is a need to eliminate.  And THAT means stopping at port-a-potties, with long lines at Aid station #1.

Of course I still hydrate while I run.  A good rule of thumb is 1 ounces for every mile that you're running.  I tend to sip on my hand bottle as I run along, keeping my mouth from getting dry and keeping my body temperature regulated.

I will warn you against hydrating TOO much.  You can flush all the electrolytes that your body needs to make your muscles function properly.  You'll experience cramping and bloating if you drink too much.  And while I'd love to give you a guideline on how MUCH to drink, it's really dependent on a person's individual hydration needs.  As long as your urine stays light colored all day, you're drinking enough.  Avoiding things like soda and other caffeinated drinks will help you manage your hydration.

Besides hydrating, I also ate THE BEST pumpkin waffles for breakfast (with a side of sweet potato).  My best friend (FOREVER), who is just ocmpleting her first 30 days of paleo sent me this recipe.  It's incredible that it doesn't contain flour, because the pancakes REALLY have that familiar pancake texture.
Last day of taper means pancakes!

PUMPKIN WAFFLES

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (plus a little extra to grease the skillet)
Directions
1. Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and honey together.  Sift the spices and baking soda into the wet ingredients.
2. Melt the coconut oil and mix into batter
3.  Grease the skillet and spoon the batter in.  When a few bubbles appear and the edges get firm, flip the pancakes once to finish cooking.
4.  Serve immediately   

So yummy, and such a great way to end my carbo load.  For the rest of the day I snacked on nuts, and kale chips and I had roast chicken and mustard wraps.  For Dinner we're having turkey burgers with bacon, avocado and tomato, wrapped in lettuce.  I try to eat light foods, more fiber to help my digestion before tomorrow's race.

For everyone who's running tomorrow, GOOD LUCK!  Maybe I'll see you at the Finish Line!  

No comments:

Post a Comment